Katy's Asia Adventures (plus Mexico!)

A haphazard chronicle of my inevitable misadventures during a year in Vietnam and points east.

p.s. I'll be pitifully grateful if you send me email during my exile: TravelerKaty@hotmail.com

October 2002 November 2002 December 2002 January 2003 February 2003 March 2003 April 2003 May 2003 June 2003 July 2003 August 2003 September 2003 October 2003 November 2003 February 2006 March 2006 May 2006 This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Saturday, October 26, 2002
 
After my many household-building errands today (moved into a new place -- not a hotel), I headed to Mary Lu's favorite coffee shop, Trung Nguyen Coffee, to try an iced coffee and rest and write after my arduous labor.

Turns out I don't altogether care for iced coffee, though it could very well be that I had no idea what I was doing during the mixing process. It was served in several parts: one little metal Vietnamese coffee dripping thing that drips very dense hot coffee into what resembles a double shot glass; one large glass of ice with long spoon; one large metal cup; and one sugar bowl with small spoon.

Being the analytical genius that I am, I figured out by the time the coffee was finished percolating that I should transfer the dripper over to the metal cup. I then poured the coffee into the ice. Should I have done the sugar first? No clue. I added two spoonfuls of sugar and just about hit the ceiling when I took the first sip. REALLY strong and REALLY bitter.

Many spoonfuls later it was still strong but palatable, though I could feel my teeth disintegrating as I sipped. I'm thinking I'd rather stick to rotting my teeth with Coca Cola and chocolate. Unless of course my heart stops unexpectedly, in which case I believe Vietnamese coffee to be a medically sanctioned alternative to the Pulp Fiction-style adrenaline shot.

© 2002 Katy Warren


Comments: Post a Comment