Katy's Asia Adventures (plus Mexico!)

A haphazard chronicle of my inevitable misadventures during a year in Vietnam and points east.

p.s. I'll be pitifully grateful if you send me email during my exile: TravelerKaty@hotmail.com

October 2002 November 2002 December 2002 January 2003 February 2003 March 2003 April 2003 May 2003 June 2003 July 2003 August 2003 September 2003 October 2003 November 2003 February 2006 March 2006 May 2006 This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Wednesday, November 13, 2002
 
Are you aware that there is, in fact, a perfect temperature for water? It is found in the Gulf of Thailand off the beaches of Phu Quoc. I swear, if I hadn't been worried about becoming cajun-style Katy from the tropical sun, I'd have spent every waking hour lolling about 20 yards off shore watching the beautiful blue fishing boats and the glorious coconut palms shading the endless sandy beach. Truly an undiscovered paradise, which I'm sure will be ruined within 20 years. The fact that we spotted a cruise ship anchored off shore the first day seals its eventual doom, as far as I'm concerned. But in the meantime, it's a fabulous place to visit.

Although I had been pronouncing the name of this island "Foo Coke" for the last several weeks, it turns out it sounds more like "Foo Kwuck" (rhymes with "luck") with the "Kwuck" going up like a hiccup. Actually, many people pronounced it "Foouck", which sounds like a hiccup in its entirety. Sadly, this means that my mother, who is notoriously and impatiently cruel to hiccuppers, will never be able to go there and retain her sanity.

Since I'm starving and craving really good air conditioning after my days in the jungle, you will just have to consider this post an appetizer for the more complete descriptions of my trip that are to come. Meanwhile, you can talk amongst yourselves about how great my tan must be.

© 2002 Katy Warren


Comments: Post a Comment