Katy's Asia Adventures (plus Mexico!)

A haphazard chronicle of my inevitable misadventures during a year in Vietnam and points east.

p.s. I'll be pitifully grateful if you send me email during my exile: TravelerKaty@hotmail.com

October 2002 November 2002 December 2002 January 2003 February 2003 March 2003 April 2003 May 2003 June 2003 July 2003 August 2003 September 2003 October 2003 November 2003 February 2006 March 2006 May 2006 This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Friday, January 31, 2003
 
I cut the bike ride a bit short due to butt pain. Sorry I can't be more delicate. Instead off taking off in the other direction from Hoi An by bike, I wandered around town taking more pictures.

I have a friend and frequent traveling companion, Heike, who takes very well-conceived artistic shots of interesting doors and windows all over the world. Hoi An is a veritable buffet of great photo opportunities. Every 20 feet you see another delicious door, window or gate. And though most of the new residential construction in Vietnam is rather boxlike and uninspired, most owners try to overcome these design deficiencies with colorful paint in contrasting pastels, detailed carved vents, and decorative iron work on windows, fences and gates.

So yesterday in Heike's honor I took a bunch of door/window photos. Were she here to do this herself they would all turn out to be displayable works of art. I, on the other hand, have no earthly idea what constitutes a good photo. How should it be framed and balanced? What's the best light? How far away should I be? All complete mysteries to me. You'd think I would have taken the time to benefit from Heike's expertise at least once during our travels. It's not like we didn't have time to talk, given that we probably have spent 100 hours on "20 questions" just to kill bus time. As it is I am forced to take pictures in bulk, with the faint hope that one in ten will be decent.

© 2003 Katy Warren



Comments: Post a Comment