Katy's Asia Adventures (plus Mexico!)

A haphazard chronicle of my inevitable misadventures during a year in Vietnam and points east.

p.s. I'll be pitifully grateful if you send me email during my exile: TravelerKaty@hotmail.com

October 2002 November 2002 December 2002 January 2003 February 2003 March 2003 April 2003 May 2003 June 2003 July 2003 August 2003 September 2003 October 2003 November 2003 February 2006 March 2006 May 2006 This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Thursday, January 16, 2003
 
I realized this week that I have lost my perspective when it comes to prices. If you thought I was frugal (some uncharitable people might say "cheap") before, I have definitely raised the bar in that area after 3 months in Vietnam.

One of the unfortunate consequences of being hit by a motorbike in the backside is the irreparable damage it causes to pants. I'm not traveling with a huge wardrobe here. I brought two pairs of pants, and since I ripped the other ones the first week I was here, these black pants were pretty much the only respectable pair I had left. This wouldn't be a huge problem if I weren't tooling around on the back of a motorbike every day -- my two skirts just aren't as convenient in this scenario, and I feel a bit, ahem, exposed when swinging my leg over, no matter how careful I try to be.

So the upshot of all this is that I clearly needed new pants, but in the land of teensy underfed women in skintight clothing, there is no way on earth I could find my size in a regular store. Even my size 6 American friend had a rough time finding anything big enough. Fortunately, there are tailors all over the place. Many of them (at least, the English speaking ones) specialize in making silk dresses, skirts, and ao dais (traditional outfit) for tourists, but all are capable of making a pair of pants.

So I went on a hunt for suitable tailor, and it was after I completed this process that I realized that I have lost my perspective by living in a country where I feel robbed if I have to pay more than $7 for dinner and drinks. The first tailor, right across from my house, couldn't understand a single word I was saying, even when I gave Vietnamese a shot. The second, on the ritzy tourist street nearby, wanted to charge me $20 per pair. I ask you! Am I made of money? The third quoted me $14/pair, which I still balked at. I finally ended up getting two pairs for $24, and actually I still kind of feel taken advantage of. Next time I'm defininitely taking along a Vietnamese translator to help with negotiations.

© 2003 Katy Warren





Comments: Post a Comment