Katy's Asia Adventures (plus Mexico!)

A haphazard chronicle of my inevitable misadventures during a year in Vietnam and points east.

p.s. I'll be pitifully grateful if you send me email during my exile: TravelerKaty@hotmail.com

October 2002 November 2002 December 2002 January 2003 February 2003 March 2003 April 2003 May 2003 June 2003 July 2003 August 2003 September 2003 October 2003 November 2003 February 2006 March 2006 May 2006 This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Friday, February 07, 2003
 
Well, as expected, I didn't do much yesterday. I had three main goals:

1. Get a new notebook (my third one! You see how hard I am working for you people?)
2. Buy a hat (mine just isn't squashable enough for long term travel)
3. Sit on the beach for several hours drinking fresh fruit juices delivered to my cushioned deck chair (no elaboration necessary here).

Goal #1 proved to be fairly easy, since at least half the stores are now open. I looked for two days in Hue with no joy -- who knew it would be such a challenge to find a simple notebook?

Goal #2 was a bit of a challenge. Like shopping for shoes, getting a hat was a bit demoralizing because everyone is tiny here so they have very little available for people of a normal size. I finally purchased one that purports to be from "Guess" company, but as it was $2 and I bought it in a market in Vietnam, I have my doubts as to the authenticity of the label. It's kind of a bad color for me, kind of mustard/khaki which is probably the last shade someone with my skin tone should wear. But it fits, has a sufficiently wide brim, and I was darned tired of using hand gestures to explain to each shoplady that I have a giant head.

Goal #3 was easily accomplished, and it was highly entertaining to watch the idiot German tourists attempt to kill themselves in the red-flagged surf. Between that and my boat trip today I'm developing a great tan, perfect for inciting envy in the teachers room when I get back to work on Monday.

© 2003 Katy Warren



Comments: Post a Comment