Katy's Asia Adventures (plus Mexico!)

A haphazard chronicle of my inevitable misadventures during a year in Vietnam and points east.

p.s. I'll be pitifully grateful if you send me email during my exile: TravelerKaty@hotmail.com

October 2002 November 2002 December 2002 January 2003 February 2003 March 2003 April 2003 May 2003 June 2003 July 2003 August 2003 September 2003 October 2003 November 2003 February 2006 March 2006 May 2006 This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Monday, September 01, 2003
 
Myanmar

Myanmar is the only place on earth (that I've visited -- I realize that's a huge proviso) in which Coke and Pepsi lack a stranglehold on the fizzy drink market. I imagine it's like Vietnam before 1995, when the mighty gods of international investment and marketing crushed the hundreds of little heathen local drink makers under their giant corporate sandals. Locals still talk about the incredible show that was put on when Coca Cola came to Saigon -- parades, hot air balloons, fireworks, etc. In Vietnam today nearly all the soft drinks are Coke and Pepsi products, and they do a booming business in bottled water as well.

In Myanmar you can get Coke, Sunkist and other western brands, but only in cans, and at prices 3-5 times higher than the local bottled versions. Interestingly, the names of all these local sodas are in English and generally not translated into Burmese at all. As a Burmese-deficient tourist, I could consequently go into a restaurant, bar or tea shop and order up a Fantasy Orange, Max, Star Cola, Quench or Crusher without fear of being misunderstood. I enjoyed my Fantasy Orange and Lemon Sparkling while I could -- in a few years they will both disappear in the wake of the inevitable Coke/Pepsi marketing and distribution juggernaut.

Copyright 2003 Katy Warren



Comments: Post a Comment